The conversion of historic landmark Pier 1 from maritime to corporate use marked one of the first major adaptive reuse projects along San Francisco’s burgeoning waterfront. In order to accommodate a new home for the Port of San Francisco in the front third of the dilapidated 1930’s sugar warehouse, a second-floor mezzanine and bulkhead space was added, capitalizing on the building’s clear span construction. Access is provided through the historic railway corridor. In addition to the buildout of administrative facilities the scope of work included design of a conference center, which is offered by the Port for public use.
Consulting Interior Architect in collaboration with Architect of Record Perkins + Will
2004 Chronicle/AIA San Francisco “Best of the Bay”, Green Design Award